Fast internet connection but very slow hostname resolution

I’m using PLDT’s HomeBro Ultera basic plan and that’s 3 megabits per second. That is fast enough for most of us. However, this last 2 or 3 months, I’m experiencing very poor browsing experience. Sites are loading show, but once started, it loads very fast. It turns out to be not PLDT’s fault.

After the installation of our internet connection, the very first thing I did was configure the router and the network connection settings to use Google’s name servers, like: 8.8.8.8. That was a year or so ago. It doesn’t have problem until this recent months where hostname resolution is very slow.

Symptoms

When you test your speed using SpeedTest.net, it shows you a fast connection and it is consistent by the way. But when you start browsing sites, the experience is very poor, like you are staging at a while page for a very long time then suddenly contents get loaded very fast, then stops, then loads another content.

Since the issue is the hostname resolution, for a website using multiple contents from multiple domains, the issue is very noticeable.

Replace your name servers

After some research and some trial and errors, I have found out that the issue is on Google’s name servers. I tried to switch to OpenDNS name servers.

You can get the IP addresses here: https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/opendns-ip-addresses/.

I have replaced all instances of name servers from my linux machine’s /etc/resolve.conf to Windows network connection settings and to our router settings. So far, everything is okay now.

Conclusion

It could not be Google’s fault or maybe we don’t know. As far as I know, my ip address is blacklisted because it says it spams or something (probably a shared IP with other compromised customers) and maybe Google blocks me or something. Or it could be that there are problems with Google’s DNS service.

Therefore, I switched to OpenDNS and will continue to monitor if things will slow down again. If that happens, I’ll switch DNS servers once again.

Posted in Networking | Leave a comment

Homebased – PhilHealth – change status from employed to voluntary

For homebased worker like me, we usually pay our government obligations ourselves. In my case, I have just continued my PhilHealth contributions by paying voluntarily under the category of “Informal Economy/Informal Sector”. Sounds weird but that is how they qualify … Continue reading

Posted in Personal Blog | Leave a comment

Nginx – cannot upload regular sized files – permission denied

I’m having this weird error in nginx where it fails to upload regular sized images like 200KB up or so. It uploads fine when the is too small. Below is the exact error. To clarify, upload works on very small … Continue reading

Posted in Linux | Leave a comment

Google Chrome 41 SlackBuild script error

Tried to upgrade my Google Chrome browser in Slackware 14.1 using the provided SlackBuild script but it fails with the latest debian package provided by Google. It turns out that I need to update the script to make it work … Continue reading

Posted in Linux, Slackware | 1 Comment

Docker on Slackware Linux on a VPS

It has been a week since I have been poking around Docker in my laptop (Slackware VM) and in my Slackware VPS. It works well in my laptop but not in VPS. It turns out that a simple reboot of … Continue reading

Posted in Linux, Slackware | Leave a comment

Slackware – Add Swap After Installation

I just got a Slackware Linux VM and everything was setup and works well until I realize that I don’t have enough swap space. Swap partition should be ideally twice the size of RAM. I just re-created the partition and … Continue reading

Posted in Linux, Slackware | Leave a comment

KDE4 Taskbar Disappeared

When I arrived at the office I noticed that the taskbar is missing in my KDE4 Fedora workstation. Good thing is that I have a KDE konsole application still left running. I didn’t realize early that the solution to revive … Continue reading

Posted in KDE, Linux | Leave a comment

Using Google Chrome for Behat and Selenium2 Testing

This is rather quick. First of all, you need a fully working Behat and Selenium2 setup working, using Firefox as default. Once you achieved this, we can change it to use Google Chrome. First, download chromedriver at https://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/ChromeDriver and put … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Static Files on OpenShift and WordPress

This blog just recently moved from PagodaBox to OpenShift due to some server issues. With a new infrastructure, there were changes in my WordPress installation where most of my static files stopped working. Reading the incomplete documentation didn’t help but … Continue reading

Posted in Linux, WordPress | Leave a comment

CSS – Elements covered by a container div not clickable

A link was covered by a div for some reason but although the link is visible, it is not click-able (partially). Hover is not working either. This is because the container div covering the link accepts all the clicks and … Continue reading

Posted in CSS, Web Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment